it’s rainy, it’s pouring… & i really wish i was in my bed snoring. i don’t know about you, but for me it’s been one of those weeks. luckily for me, i’m not against self-medication. this week’s drug of choice? an old stand-by… caramel oatmeal bars, or as jeffy calls them – caramel crack, because once you start eating them, you just can’t stop.
2 sticks melted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 jar of caramel topping (think smucker’s)
1. preheat oven to 325 degrees, & grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
2. combine the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, baking soda & salt. add melted butter & mix until “crumbly”.
3. press HALF of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, & bake for about 15 minutes.
4. remove from oven & spread the ENTIRE bottle of caramel topping on top, followed by the the ENTIRE bag of chocolate chips, & then finally sprinkle the remaining prepared dough mixture over the top.
5. continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or so, until it’s a light golden brown.
6. once you’ve removed the caramel bars from the oven you need to let them cool & chill until the chocolate is set…. then it’s time to cut them & start feasting.
trust me, these babies might not be able to solve world peace, but they will definitely brighten your day, & hopefully my week. still not sold on their magical powers? then head on over to christie’s blog. these yummies are one of her favorites too, she’s even provided a step-by-step how to. i dare you… just click on over HERE, & then try & tell me that you aren’t a believer.