on cold winter nights, comfort foods is the name of the game. lately i’ve been craving both chicken pot pie & shepherd’s pie – two comfort food staples. basically the recipe is the same for both, plus or minus the crust & potatoes. but honestly, we all know that the crust & potatoes is the best part. so why not combine the two? instead of having to choose between chicken pot pie (with it’s delicious golden crust) & sheperd’s pie (with it’s creamy mashed potatoes), last night i created the best of both worlds… a chicken shepherd’s pie, topped with creamy garlic mashed potatoes, baked inside a delicious golden crust – chicken pot pie mash up recipe.
chicken pot pie mash up
2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked & diced
2 egg yolks
handful of chopped parsley
1/2 cup of frozen carrots
1/2 cup of frozen corn
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1 can of cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup milk
1 deep dish frozen pie shell
4 large potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
2 tablespoons of butter
1 (5-ounce) package of boursin soft garlic & herb cheese
1. pre-heat oven to 350 degress.
2. put potatoes in a stock pot, cover with water & boil under tender, then drain.
3. while potatoes are cooking, saute the carrots, peas & corn in the butter, and season with salt and pepper. when veggies are tender add chicken & mix it all together.
4. in a medium sized bowl combine the veggies, chicken, cream of chicken & 1/2 cup of milk for the chicken pot pie “stuffing”
5. when potatoes have finished cooking & have been drained, add the cheese, egg yolks, parsley & 1/4 cup of milk & mash.
6. fill your frozen deep dish pie crust with your “stuffing” & spread your potato “crust” on top
7. place your pie tin on a baking sheet & bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is a golden brown.
best served with a roaring fire in the background, homemade rolls & a pot of cocoa on the stove.