in my mind i have this picture of what mountain biking chicks are… tough, strong & fearless. when i grow up, i want to be like them. the only thing that’s holding me back? i hate mountain biking.
mountain biking chicks
okay, okay… to say i hate mountain biking seems harsh. hate is probably a bit strong. maybe i should say i dislike mountain biking, or that i’m not extremely fond of it. whatever synonym you use, it all comes down to this – i’m seriously not a fan. just thinking about mountain biking makes my stomach get queasy & my heart skip a beat or two…. honestly, mountain biking gives me the heebie-jeebies. no, it’s more than that – it scares me to death. white knuckling the handlebars, as i speed downhill, avoiding the ruts in the trail, just hoping that i don’t go over the front? oy vey!
“give it up!” you say, “why do it?” you ask? well… my husband mountain bikes. my friends mountain bike. even my kids are starting to mountain bike. i fear if i don’t learn to like, or hopefully one day love mountain biking, i will soon be exiled. i’ve already been told “we still love you even if you don’t like mountain biking, we may just never hang out again.”
as you can see i’m in quite a quandary – so i’ve adapted a new motto… “mountain bike or die.”
unfortunately, adapting the motto alone, wasn’t enough. so, i’ve been riding. almost daily. i’ve been perfecting my bunny hops, performing wheelies & practicing my track stands. & thanks to the ultimate mountain biking chick, i now have more confidence, than ever before, when it comes to my mountain biking skills.
mountain biking skills
now i wish i could say that mountain biking suddenly doesn’t suck. that magically, i am no longer scared of falling, going over my handle bars, or speeding downhill fast. but i am & it does.
luckily, it doesn’t suck as much as it did before. slowly but surely, i am getting better. & one of these days i may just surprise you, by exclaiming my love for mountain biking. until then, i’m willing to accept any & all tips on mountain biking. in the meantime, here are few i’ve learned along the way…
tips on mountain biking
- don’t wear underwear under your shorts. in fact, the ultimate mountain biking chick highly recommends all mountain biking chicks to invest in a big tube of chamois cream & a brazilian wax.
- go clipless when it comes to pedals. it may be a wee bit scarier at first, but trust me, you’ll be so much happier in the long run.
- you’re right hand break controls the rear brake…. if you apply this brake “full on” (by itself) you’ll skid. the left hand brake controls the front brake… if you apply this brake “full on” (by itself) you’ll stop immediately – be careful, though. without the proper weight distribution it’s easy to fly over the handle bars. it’s best to use a combination of the two brakes for stopping purposes.
- whether you are turning, going downhill or uphill… look where you want to go. i don’t know why, i don’t know how – it just works.
- pick your “line” & stick with it – don’t ever hesitate, just go with it.
- try to think 2-3 moves ahead. don’t focus on what’s right in front of you, instead concentrate on what’s coming up.
- when it’s time to descend… stand up & shift your weight back, behind your saddle & stay low.
- shift your gears before you have to.
- when you’re climbing uphill, move yourself forward to the front of your saddle & keep your head low to your handle bars… keeping your body weight forward, towards the front of your bike.
so there you have it… pearls of mountain biking wisdom from a girl who can’t wait (but is scared to death) to be part of the mountain biking chicks club.