chocolate, banana, a handful of coconut & if you’re feeling fancy…. a sprinkling of macadamia nuts – i’d say that’s hawaii in a bread pan, or at the very least, the best banana bread recipe ever.
i’ve spent years trying to re-create & perfect this recipe from my childhood. with a hint of coconut & banana, the ooey goodness of melted chocolate & smothered in a powdered sugar icing… i think i may have finally hit the jackpot.
banana chocolate chip bread recipe
3 bananas, mashed
1/3 cup of melted butter
3 tablespoons of milk
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup of coconut flakes
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1 cup of macadamia nuts (optional)
1/2 – 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons of milk
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large bowl. add sugar, egg & vanilla.
3. add baking soda & salt and mix.
4. add the flour, mix.
5. add coconut, nuts & chocolate chips & mix with fork.
6. pour mixture into a buttered loaf pan.
7. bake approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. while the bread cools, mix the icing…
9. mix powdered sugar & milk until it’s at the consistency where is slowly runs off a spoon. (if it’s too runny, it won’t stick to bread.)
10. remove bread from pan & drizzle (or smother with) icing on top.
best enjoyed slightly warmed from the oven. although, it is awfully delicious served the next morning for breakfast. or, as the base of a hot fudge sundae (complete with a scoop of vanilla ice cream & hot fudge).