i often get asked: how to wear wings while running? having done it twice, (& even PR-ing while running in wings) i’m a self-proclaimed wing-running-expert… and it’s surprisingly easy.
in fact, it’s so comfortable, i tend to forget i’m wearing wings while running, unless i accidentally hit someone with one of them (which may have happened once or twice).
the key to an easy-breezy-wing-running-experience? it’s all in the attachment…
don’t be lured into wearing the elastic arm straps “back pack” style. that’s guaranteed to be uncomfortable & you definitely won’t be flying thru any race.
not to worry though – proper wing-running-attachment is easy peasy.
* one pair of Team Sparkle fairy wings (available in a rainbow of colors)
* one tank top, preferably racerback. if tank tops aren’t your “thing”, wear a racerback sports bra under your shirt of choice.
you can also wear wear a “normal” sports bra, however it’s a little more work.
* 2 safety pins
best done with the help of a friend, but attaching wings can be done alone.
1. while wearing your tank top (or racerbrack sports bra under the shirt of your choice), attach the wings to the racerback, using the elastic arm straps.
a racerback tank top or sports bra’s shoulder straps form a “v” or a “t” between your shoulder blades, making it super easy to attach the wings to.
if you do choose to wear a “normal” tank top or sports bra, attach the elastic arm straps to each of your bra/ tank straps.
basically, you want to secure the wings to the middle of your back as firmly as possible.
2. wrap the the straps around the racerback several times, until it’s tight, making sure to double knot it.
* if you’re performing this act solo, you may want to attach the wings before putting on your tank top.
* if you’re wearing a sports bra under the shirt of your choice, you’ll want to pull the back collar down as far down as possible, & attach the wings to the straps of your sports bra.
4. pin each wing to your tank top or shirt at the top of your back, at your shoulders, using the safety pins, to prevent major “wing-bobbing” while running.
* you may want to quickly dab the area where you are going to pin with clear nail polish to prevent any major runs in the nylon wings.
5. once you’ve attached your wings, be sure to slightly bend them “backwards,” near the top, for aero-dynamics (& to ensure they don’t hit you in the face as you run).
see?! i told you it would be easy-breezy. but, just in case you need a refresher already…
1. do NOT wear the wings as backpack using the arm straps.
2. DO attach the wings to a racerback tank top or sports bra.
3. DO pin wings to the top of each shoulder.
4. give the wings a slight bend BACKWARDS, to ensure aero-dynamics.
now, all you need is a little bit of pixie dust (& your Team Sparkle skirt) & you’re ready to wear wings while running.